The High Five With Nicole Atkins
Nicole Atkins is a NYC based vocalist who performs with her backing band the Black Sea. Atkins’ sophomore record Mondo Amore will shortly be out on 2/11. Atkins will also be bringing her terrific live set to St. Paul’s Turf Club on 3/1.
THE HIGH FIVE
1. If you were going on a cross country road trip and could bring a long any three people in the world, who would they be and why?
I would bring our sometimes keyboard player Shane Nelken from Vancouver because he’s the funniest person I’ve ever met. I would bring my friend Mandy Bisesti because she’s the perfect travel companion. She’s the first person I’d wanna be with when the zombie apocalypse happens as well. She’s like a ninja. And I’d bring our tour manager Roe Jennings because he can drive for 15 hours straight without getting tired.
2. What is one album that you feel has changed your life and how?
Love’s “Da Capo.” It changed the way I felt about how I wanted to write my own music. It had so much emotion and darkness and playfulness. When I first moved to NYC I listened to only that record for about a year.
3. Who are a band that you feel should get more recognition that they do, and why?
Benji Hughes from North Carolina. He’s one of the best living songwriters in the world. A modern day Harry Nilsson.
4. What is your favorite live music memory (performing or attending)?
Man, I just jammed with Levon Helm’s Midnight Ramble band. Larry Campbell from Dylan’s band, Steven Bernstien from Sex Mob and John Medeski. It was the musical equivalent of skydiving.
5. Finish this sentence: “Minneapolis is a great place to…”
Play some rock n roll~!
Nicole Atkins: Site