Best Concerts of 2015.5
- Electric Wizard at Mill City Nights (4/8)
- Blind Shake & Swami John Reis at the Tuf Club (2/19)
- Earl Sweatshirt at Mill City Nights (3/27)
- Soundset at Canterbury Park (5/24)
- King Khan & BBQ Show at the Turf Club (3/9)
- Metz at the 7th St Entry (5/22)
- Doldrums and Moon King at the 7th St Entry (5/8)
- The Vaselines at the Cedar Cultural Center (1/22)
- Hammerhead and The Blind Shake at the Turf Club (1/3)
- Moon Duo at the 7th Street Entry (2/28)
1. The Soft Moon/Noveller at the Entry
This was an excellent pairing for an excellent show in the intimate confines of the Entry.
2. Olivia Chaney/Jacob Pavek at Northrup
OK, this wasn’t my favorite venue by a long shot. But Chaney was amazing and Pavek (who I had not heard) was also phenomenal.
3. VietCong at the Entry
Points off for being insufferably hot and packed but still a terrific show.
4. Seun Kuti/Babes in Toyland at RTG
These two were the only I cared about at RTG this year, and they didn’t disappoint. It was particularly great to see Babes back on the stage (I never got to the first time around).
5. Ibeyi at the Cedar
These French/Cuban sisters have incredible voices – they will be back again soon but unfortunately not at the Cedar.
Jon Jon, @soundverite1
- Shabazz Palaces at Fineline June
- Metasota at Eric Mayson release show at Honey June
- Thundercat/ Lizzo/ZULUZULUU May
- Black Milk at 7th Street Entry June
- Mos Def/ Muja Messiah/Sarah White – May
- Robert Glasper & Jason Moran at The Walker – May
- Stevie Wonder at Target Center
- Swani John Reis and The Blind Shake at the Turf Club
- Viet Cong at the Entry
- Holly Herndon at the Walker Art Center
- Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at the Turf Club
- Seun Kuti + Babes in Toyland at Rock the Garden
- Shabazz Palaces + Zuluzuluu at Fine Line
- Drone Not Drones II
- Moon Duo at 7th Street Entry
- Panther Ray Release Show w/ Rupert Angeleyes, Flavor Crystals and Whatever Forever at 7th Street Entry
H/M: Dead Gurus + American Cream + Vats at Memory Lanes