Reviler Best of 2011: Local Songs
Snow is falling, people are spending money on crap they don’t need and you are starting to dread all of the time you will be spending with your in laws in the next couple weeks. Cheer up. It is also that wonderful time of year where music sites like yours truly pontificate even more than usual, although in a more orderly and concise manner than we normally do (numbered lists!). For the next week we will be presenting you with a plethora of lists covering our favorite (and least favorite) things from calender year 2011. Today we look at our favorite songs from our always amazing local scene. Tomorrow we will take a look at our favorite local albums from 2011.
- Low “Witches”
- Food Pyramid- “Kollider”/ “ATM”
- Sleeping in the Aviary “Talking Out of Turn”
- Red Pens “Next Summer”
- Wet Hair- “Fade Til Morning”
(Honorable Mention: Night Moves “Country Queen”)
2. Claps- “Book of Love” The addicting bass lines, the angelic, haunting vocals and the perfect synth hook make this song one of the best I’ve heard in years.
3. Is/Is- “Blackest Beat” Dreamy, sleepy, and gorgeous, this song has everything I love about shoegazey grunge rock, and as the song progresses, the huge wall of sound it produces is completely enveloping.
4. Children of Euler- “Heliocentric” Epically beautiful and epically heavy from beginning to end. The flow of this song is magical and I’ve never heard anything like it.
5. Sleeping In the Aviary- “Karen You’re an Angel” It’s been a long time since a love song was written that could make me so happy and so teary eyed. The sweetness of the story being told and the unique pop/oldies sound is absolutely incredible.
Very honorable mentions: (Hollow Boys- “Pregnant Girls,” The Funeral and the Twilight- “Thomas Bracket,” Mystery Palace- “I Thought I was Right,”Teenage Moods- “No Place For a Tiger”)
2. Sims- Future Shock
3.Blind Shake- Theyr’e All Gone
4. Brute Heart- Evil Eye
5. Buffalo Moon-Chica De Luna
(Honorable Mention: Gay Beast “Poverty Witch,” Claps “Final Time,” Is/Is “Hate Smile”)
Writer / co-founder